Posted on January 02, 2017 by ADMIN

Arsenal transfer news: Celtic reluctant, seven departures? Two in?

Arsenal don’t look likely to bring in any players to the first-team squad this month, but that wont stop the speculation from doing the rounds.

Arsene Wenger hinted that there was not going to be any big additions this month, when insisting that he already has a wealth of options in the squad, citing yesterday’s missing men Danny Welbeck, Santi Cazorla and Mesut Ozil as proof of that.

“Nothing planned at the moment,” he said.

“You look at the players we missed today – no Cazorla and Ozil, we hope to get them back.

“Welbeck is coming back – we have a big squad.”

The sidelined Spaniard is into the final six months of his contract now, and is allowed to discuss terms with clubs outside of England about a possible move. Yaya Sanogo, Jon Toral and club captain Per Mertesacker are also in the same boat, although Santi’s importance is the toughest pill to swallow.

A new name linked with the exit door this month is American Under-23 international Gedion Zelalem. The youngster is supposedly wanted by Borussia Dortmund, and sources indicate that he may also be out of contract in the coming summer. I hope my findings are incorrect, as I’m certain he will follow Gnabry in hitting great heights once given a regular role.

Carl Jenkinson and Mathieu Debuchy are also said to be wanted, but a replacement would have to come in should both leave, and I can’t see Arsene Wenger looking to bring anyone in until the summer.

One who is hoping to earn a contract with our club is Omar Abdulrahman, but that looks unlikely to say the least. We were linked with him four years back and nothing prevailed, and a post on Twitter is unlikely to change that.

Another player we have been linked with previously is Moussa Dembele of Celtic. The striker has been in astonishing form since moving North from Fulham this summer, and is being tipped for a big money return to the Premier League. Brendan Rodgers has failed to deter the attention from his striker, by refusing to rule out his exit.

When asked if he was going this month, the manager responded with ‘I wouldn’t have thought so’. Well that hasn’t convinced me!

Should we look at signing Dembele? Do any of the possible departees need replacing or keeping?

Pat J

Share Button
Watch all 37 goals that Lacazette scored last season - click here


4 thoughts on “Arsenal transfer news: Celtic reluctant, seven departures? Two in?

  1. karansagar

    Santi should definitely be given a contract extension. Even if it is a one year extension. Meanwhile we can track the progress of Wilshere and see if he can be the midfield partner for Ozil and Xhaka.

    Rate this comment: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 1

  2. tissiam

    wenger has already come out and said that arsenal are taking the one year extension option on carzola’s contract and santi said he loves it here and want to stay so it’s sorted he’s going nowhere!!

    Rate this comment: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

  3. ruelando

    I really do not see Wenger buying anyone in this January window, players we actually need would still be tied up in Champions league competition, and i do not see any major departures, we actually have a large squad, made up with some young talents.

    What i would look for is some young quality English talents to improve the junior squads or a player that we could add to the senior squad, but let him remain with the team we would buy him from until summer

    Rate this comment: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Comments are closed.