Posted on August 14, 2016 by ADMIN

Campbell or Iwobi to complete Arsenal attack against Liverpool?

I don’t think I am taking too much for granted when I assume that two of the Arsenal front three that starts our first EPL game of the season against Liverpool will be Alexis Sanchez and Theo Walcott, as the Chilean is our star performer and most likely game winner in the absence of Mesut Ozil, while the unavailability of Olivier Giroud and Danny Welbeck leaves the speedy Walcott as our only experienced centre forward.

The question of who completes the attack, however, is a bit more tricky to answer. There are some options like Jack Wilshere and Aaron Ramsey, although neither of these two Gunners’ best position is out wide. There is also the young Frenchman Jeff Reine-Adelaide, but unless he has been in stunning form on the training ground this week you would have to assume that both Alex Iwobi and Joel Campbell are ahead of him in the pecking order.

So which of the two would you start with? I think it depends on how Arsene Wenger wants to approach the match in terms of attacking risk versus caution. Even though Iwobi has looked really sharp in pre-season and probably carries a bit more goal threat, I would say Campbell is better in possession and better at tracking back and helping the defence.

With Jurgen Klopp’s teams usually putting a lot of pressure on the ball and with our top three centre backs missing, I would go for the Costa Rican in this game. How about you?

Bob.

Share Button
Do you want send us an article for discussion?- click here

7 comments

1. Twig ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

PS

The OX is still an Arsenal player (quickly checks to confirm) and as far as I’m aware he’s not injured, so I wonder why his name wasn’t even mentioned in the article?

1. ethangooner ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

The OX is a bit like the poor-man version of Sanchez, high risk high return kind of player. He can make things happen but also too often giving up possession in dangerous area.
      If Sanchez starts on the wing, I prefer Iwobi on the opposite wing as he is more of a possession and ball player. If Sanchez starts as a striker, Iwobi left wing, Ox right wing, Walcott impact sub.

2. Jansen ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Wenger doesn’t rate Campbell. Iwobi will start and he is an exciting player. At his age you never know what performance you get but I hope he starts. We need a big season from him on the left wing. He could, and we need him to, score 15 goals or more.

3. Big G ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Klopp’s teams have always played a high tempo game and will again today so i suspect posession will come and go easily both ways and for this reason i would go with Iwobi for a more attacking option and use campbell if needed to help protect a lead later in the game.

4. Arsenal_Girl ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

Is our Attack on par with other Top Teams?

Arsenal: Iwobi/Campbell, Ozil, Alexis, Theo/Giroud
    City: Sterling, De Bruyne/Silva, Nolito, Aguero
    United: Mkhitaryan, Mata, Depay, Ibrahimovic
    Chelsea: Hazard, Fabregas, Pedro, Willain, Batshuayi, Costa
    Spurs: Lamela, Erickson, Janssen, Kane

I think Iwobi and Campbell are good but Draxler or Mahrez would be better and we need to increase quality to compete for the title

In terms of Theo and Giroud several teams have better strikers
    1. United: Ibrahimovic
    2. City: Aguero
    3. Chelsea: Costa
    4. Spurs: Kane and maybe Janssen
    5. Everton: Lukaku

How we play as a Team is also very important but individual quality is too

5. Twig ( User Karma: 0 ) says:

I don’t really rate either player to be honest but I’ll choose Campbell for his experience and better defensive work. In any case, my front three will be OX, Walcott and Sanchez.

Comments are closed.