HOW MUCH UPGRADE HAS ARSENAL DONE IN THIS TRANSFER WINDOW? by Rabiul
For a change it is good to see Arsenal has been active in the transfer market early and signing 4 new players (Sanchez, Chambers, Debuchy and Ospina) already and displaying their financial capability. But I beg to raise the question, “How much update has Arsenal done in this transfer window so far?” Let me analyze one by one.
1. Debuchy : Replacement of Sagna. Exact like for like replacement. Not an upgrade.
2. Ospina : Replacement of Fabiansky Like for like replacement. Not an upgrade.
3. Chambers : Replacement of Vermalen. Like for like replacement. Not an upgrade as of now.
4. Bellerin : Replacement of Jenkinson who was back-up of Sagna (Though Bellerin has not been signed from the market). Like for like replacement of Jenkinson. Not an upgrade.
5. Campbell : Replacement of Podolski (Guessing with probable departure of Pod). If Pod, then kind of like for like replacement.
6. Sanchez : Replacement of Lord Bendtner I guess (if played through the middle). Definitely an upgrade. If played on the wing (with probable departure of Podolsky). Definitely an upgrade in that area also.
So, the first 5 are actually a like-for like replacement and not an upgrade from last year’s Arsenal. The only upgrade we have is Sanchez. However, Arsenal needs to strengthen further in couple of areas which we all know. We need an upgrade over Arteta/Flamini in the CDM role and definitely a better striker than Giroud. Another young CB (not necessarily an upgrade but who is ready to take the challenge to be a first choice CB) will be required.
With around 10 days remaining, hopefully Arsenal will sort out these positions. Optimistic till the transfer window closes.