The season is now four games old and the title race is starting to take shape. Man United, Man City and Chelsea occupy the top three slots, with Tottenham in 5th, Liverpool 7th and Arsenal in 9th. One of the biggest effects on the title race will be the goals scored by each teams top strikers.
Man United’s expensive signing Romelu Lukaku is currently top of the goalscoring charts with 4 goals, and Mane, Morata, Jesus, Vardy, and our own Danny Welbeck all on 3, and our new man Lacazette is also up there with 2 plus he had one good goal disallowed for offside. Alexis Sanchez still hasn’t had much chance to get going yet, and supersub Olivier Giroud got off the mark in our first day win over Leicester.
I would like to think that Lacazette or Alexis could win the Golden Boot this season, but there will be much competition amongst the top clubs. Here are a few talking points on the race so far.
1) Romelu Lukaku leads the league with four goals.
2) Man United and Man City have four players on the board where Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham only have two.
3) Where as Romelu Lukaku was fortunate to have been credited with his offside goal (against Stoke), Alexandre Lacazette was equally unfortunate to be denied his goal against Stoke (that was equally offside as Lukaku’s).
4) United’s players also lead the board on the number of assists they create for each other with four.
5) Leroy Sané has the best strike rate with 100% of his shots (two) on target and scoring on each occasion.
6) It has so far been difficult to keep Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku quiet as Kane has been able to calve out 26 opportunities and Lukaku has been able to calve out 23 opportunities on goal (with Lukaku having 14 of them on target).
The question is, who do you think will be Arsenal’s top scorer and who will actually win the golden boot?