FDR 1932 U.S. Presidential Inaugural Address: ‘We have nothing to Fear, but Fear itself’. by Chris Scannell
I’m neither an AKB or an AOB, although over the years and in articles I’ve previously written on this site. while approaching the various subjects from objective perspectives, I have in the past, where I’ve felt it appropriate, given Arsene Wenger the ‘benefit if the doubt’.
Now I believe it’s time for a complete Root and Branch Transformational Change at Arsenal.
I DO NOT Want to see Arsene Wenger ‘Hounded Out’ OR Humiliated. He HAS made mistakes, many of which could have been avoided, if he had been less stubborn, more flexible, more prepared to give underperforming players a good kick up the Arsenal, and sell consistently injury prone players. He has accumulated TOO MUCH POWER at the Club
Arsene has ALSO done Great Things for our Club over the last 21 Years – and he deserves the respect of Everyone associated with the Club – Fans Included.
BUT – it IS time for Change.
1. Arsene Wenger’s Contract should NOT be renewed this Summer. If, as it looks almost certain a 2 Year extension is on the table – He should not Sign It. Although he already probably has, or will.
2. If Arsene Wenger Does sign this 2 Year Extension, the Board should include the Following Caveats –
That Arsenal MUST Win the EPL and MUST Progress to AT LEAST the UCL Semi Finals Next Season 2017-2018, or the Final Year of the Contract 2018-2019 will be withdrawn.
3. If Arsene Wenger Does sign this 2 Year Extension, the Board should also formally stipulate that – as well as the ‘Set In Stone’ conditions above – Wenger MUST be prepared to begin the Transition to the ‘Post Wenger’ Era – which will be set to begin at the start of Season 2019-2020 at the Latest.
4. In Line with Point 3 Above – Wenger MUST Be contractually Bound to Accept and Work With a Director Of Football and/or a Transfers/ Contracts/Salaries & Bonuses Director – NOT Appointed by OR Recommended by him – and likewise any other Background Infrastructure Changes, the Board implements NOW in Preparation for the Post Wenger Era – Starting Season 2019-2020 Onwards.
5. A Full On Re-Vamp and Re-Structuring of the Team – at ALL Levels – including the Academy. NO ROOM FOR LOYALTY HERE. Any Players PAST their Peak Years – OR even in their Peak Years – if they are regularly underperforming – not fulfilling their talent and potential, or are consistently injury-prone – must be sold on or released from their contracts. No Coasters – No Riders – No Spongers.
There IS A Lot of Change required in the 5 Areas raised above – but as FDR stated: ‘We have nothing to Fear, but Fear itself’.