Arsenal going all-out to overturn Rennes with strong confirmed XI

Arsenal have named their strongest possible line-up to take on Rennes tonight, with an almost unchanged XI from the Manchester United fixture.

The Gunners have made the decision to let Petr Cech continue his role in the Europa League, while the remainder of the team stays the same from the United fixture.

We go out tonight with the need to overturn a hefty 3-1 defeat in France, but with this line-up and our team flying high after the weekend’s result, I firmly expect us to do so.

Mkhitaryan is the only player who I would have put in after the weekend, and he will no doubt get involved at some stage, but you would have to think that this XI will come up with 3 or 4 goals tonight.

Will these team have any trouble overturning the deficit?

Pat J

1. ForeverGooner says:

Thanks Aubemeyang
    Come on Gooners

1. ForeverGooner says:

5 minutes goal. great start

2. John0711 says:

I’m disappointed in the line up, only because we have a difficult game this weekend and I don’t want tiredness be an excuse

1. Ackshay says:

We have no match it was postponed. We play after 3 weeks after rennes.

1. Tissiam says:

When I keep repeating loads of our arsenal fans are clueless people don,t believe me,I hsve 100,s of examples,yesterday I had to remind one that lacazette was available after his ban was reduced to 2 games,and I,ve seen even more nonsense that one was far from the worse,how embarrassing and these people want to tell the manager which player to select,the formation,how to run the club…as football fans we,ve become a laughingstock I swear!

2. Tissiam says:

You don t have a clue man do you?using cliches hoping it might work,if I were you I would never comment on this site again lost any credibility if you had any to start with,I bet you advised the manager before on players,tactics didn,t you??

1. John0711 says:

WOW ! I bet your a real fun person ?
        Apologies some fans don’t know everything

1. ken1945 says:

Tissiam, will be looking forward to seeing you in our dugout from tonight onwards then, with the knowledge you have?
          The arrogance of some people is astonishing and as for credibility, your intolerance shows you need to eat a lot of humble pie before you post again.

3. Ackshay says:

2-0 already, ref decision for us this week after last week false red card. Now a 3rd goal to secure the match.

1. Tissiam says:

EVEN IF THE SCORE STAYS THE SAME WE,RE THROUGH BY VIRTUE OF THE AWAY GOAL BUT a third goal would kill the game ss you said,COYG!!!!!!!!

4. waal2waal says:

…lookin as if …we could be in for a stroll in the park here ? provided we keep 11 on for the full 90

1. Ackshay says:

We are playing rough I freaking love it. Though a red card scares me.

1. waal2waal says:

laca sliding in was risky… but we’re OK, we’re in good shape so far…

5. Mobella says:

Get the third goal please….

6. ForeverGooner says:

I’m extra happy about Aubameyang’s goal.
    I bet £5 at 4/1 that he would score in the first 25 minutes.
    Auba won me £25 ?❤

7. Ackshay says:

I’ve spotted ozil making many good runs in space in counters that were not spotted or ignored by teammates. He just stops when 3 consecutive runs were ignored. Not a coincidence that his form fell off a cliff when cazorla who has similar vision to him was injured.

Impressed with AMN… what a header!
    Bit disappointed not to see the Batman mask after Auba scored ?

1. Little Magician says:

There you are Sue!!!

9. Pat says:

Am already making my way to cloud nine, please Rennes don’t stop me. 2nd half coming.

Rennes players are going down like they’ve been shot & screaming in agony… which makes it seem so much worse than what it really is ??
    Come on Arsenal 45 minutes to go……

1. Petit says:

You can’t blame them. They enjoyed playing 10 men Arsenal last time around, they are trying their luck really hard to get us down to 10 men.

It’s driving me crazy!! Get up & grow a pair ?

1. Ackshay says:

Lol rennes are so scared to play vs us at 11 they have been diving all match. 1st leg lucky break got to their head.

Bang on Ackshay

11. Xxnofx says:

Good 1st half
    Impressed with the back line once again ,AMN having a stormer down that right flank .
    It’s upto Rennes now to push so should see us start to open them up in the second half.

1. waal2waal says:

…AM-N has certainly come on leaps and bounds. IF he keeps this up …hector will be resigned to warm the bench. Defenders are also meant to score on occasion imo – well done.

we still got some more to do to seal this tho #COYG

12. S says:

We have it in us to screw up.

Not tonight S

13. waal2waal says:

…they’re now reduced to making mistakes – thing is we need to be more lethal at punishing them

14. Rkw says:

Need a change in middle ASAP no stability or control … Xhaka and Ramsey just don’t bring anything to our formation … Happy when both have gone …

1. Boluwatife says:

I wonder what game you were watching. Hope you saw how they stroll through the middle immediately Ramsey left? They definitely did a great job these two games

15. Mobella says:

We have handed back the initiative to Rennes and we need to be careful.All we need the 3rd goal and it seems like we are not looking for it and instead defending the two goals. I hope we will not retreat it

1. waal2waal says:

…is lacazette still figuring here… ? if not its time to change him

2. Mobella says:

regreat it I mean to say and as I was posting !!!boom!!!! came the 3rd goal. Won’t I be greed to ask for one more.

16. Ackshay says:

Black panther to the rescue.

Kolasinac- Auba = goal + black panther ?

18. waal2waal says:

.. this could well be 5 – nil which would suggest we really mean business going into the latter part of this competition – we need to keep pressing on and give Unai something rewarding as a kind of thank you for his first season. COYG!

19. Andy says:

sue if they don’t keep on top of them they going to lose this game after missing two sitters

20. waal2waal says:

we’ve reverted to slack mode – auba needs to seal it with a third and take the ball home

21. Tissiam says:

Where are the people who have been slamming Aubey??

1. waal2waal says:

…nobody’s slamming him – its simply that arsenal are renowned for lethal hitmen and everyone is delighted when he delivers the goods, on tme, everytime

22. Great job! The boys came through though Auba needs to be more clinical, how can he miss 2 sitters one after the other.

If he’d had the mask on he’d have buried them ?

23. Declan says:

Reminds me of our Fairs Cup (forerunner of this competition) win in 1970 when we lost 3-1 away to Anderlect and then beat them 3-0 at Highbury.
    I celebrated on the pitch that night.

24. Bur says:

Great result. Well done lads, redemption!!!! Greeeeeat!!!!

Buzzing!! Our home form is top notch!!
    Well done boys (& John Wick ?)

Bye Ben Arfa… Bye ?

1. Gily says:

Anothet clean sheet! Well done young millionaires.
      The competition between Cech and Leno is heating up. I am now comfortable between them, though I’ll pick Leno any day.
      COYG??
      ????

Happy days Gily… ?

1. Gily says:

♥♥♥

2. John Wick says:

Thank you Sue ? bye bye Ben Arfa classic ???

26. AlexLaca9 says:

I’m sorry but the midfield and attack emery started with against United and again tonight is Arsenal’s best and I have a feeling emery is finally starting to come around. Xhaka, Ramsey, Ozil, auba and laca reminds me of the good attacking football under wenger. It should anyway it is his players after all lol. That is the Arsenal I wanna see week in and out. Yes emery thank you for the past two games, I am a very happy gooner

27. killamch89 says:

What a bunch of fairies those Rennes players are – constantly rolling around like a used-toilet roll on the floor. I’m glad that’s over!

1. waal2waal says:

… like a used-toilet role?… maybe you should take up poetry (..not 🙂 )

28. Abel says:

Auba missed two absolute sitters immediately after his 3rd goal.
    First he was put through by the irrepressible Iwobi (bring on the haters), then he was also put through by Ramsey and he somehow contrived to miss when it was easier to score on both occasions.
    We could have been punished if not for lucky offside calls twice after some mazy runs by Ben Arfa.
    Big shout out to the defence who handled the Rennes attackers well especially Mbaiye Niang who has scored against us previously while playing for Watford.
    Lacazette was lucky not to be sent off for his lunge and follow through especially after the way the Rennes player yelped and rolled on the floor thereafter.
    Finally kudos to Emery for tactical nous and making the players focus on the pressure week a match at a time.

1. Abel says:

“the 3rd goal”

29. Paddywhack says:

Declan. Remember it well I was there. Cant remember if I was on the pitch. Great night

30. Joe Jackson says:

Auba is better than Lacazette. A striker’s primary role is to get goals and Auba guarantees that judging from his stats.

31. Will says:

Never in doubt really…

Nervous all day thinking we’d be glorious is defeat again and win 4-2 or something stupid…So happy the lads made it look so routine and there were few heart attack moments!

My thoughts on the game:team

AMN is really looking a player at right wing back, maybe time we start playing him in his strongest position which is apparently in the centre.
    Xhaka, a lot of positives from the weekend from a lot of people…he still needs an extra few seconds in the ball and looked off the pace for at least the first 25 mins today.
    Ozil (who is one of my favourite players) really showing why Emery might be right in dropping him, didn’t offer much and thought Mkhi (who I do not rate at all) offered much more during his 15 min cameo.
    Auba……..I absolutely love this guy. I would like to say he needs to be more clinical as he does mis a few…however, he scores as a matter of course so what more can I ask?
    Cech. Let’s just play Leno for the rest of the season. No disrespect to Cech but consistency is key.

32. Lomomi says:

Good Job Guys… I want to overlook THE mistakes. We went thru to d last 8!