Time to address the ‘Away Game’ problem by GunnerJack
We all have our own ideas on why we suffer away from home. For what it’s worth here are mine.
1) We know that UE likes to study our opponents and there’s nothing wrong with that. My contention is that in away games he treats the opposition with far too much respect while at the same time showing little respect for the ability of his own players.
2) This leads to him choosing a defensive lineup – but I think most of us would agree that unfortunately our defenders are far from being world beaters. So my question to UE is this: why invite pressure on what is the weakest component of your team?
3) Away from home our midfield is also chosen with defence in mind. However for me they are much better going forward than defending.
4) OUR BEST/CLASS PLAYERS ARE TO BE FOUND IN OUR ATTACK! So why on earth leave them on the bench!!??
5) Our home record shows that Arsenal AS A TEAM play far better when attacking than defending. So as our best players are in attack and the whole team play with much more fluidity when attacking then WHY NOT ATTACK EVERYBODY – HOME OR AWAY – STARTING WITH NAPOLI?
Personally I want to see Mesut given free rein and spraying passes to Auba, Laca, Ramsey and also Iwobi. Iwobi was much improved on Monday and was one of the few players who worried the Watford defence AND showed much more composure with his final ball. With a bit of luck he would have had 2 assists to his name.
I also don’t really believe in resting players for whole matches. I think they want to play every game. So let’s not disappoint them – start EVERY GAME with our best players and when we have a game won then, and only then, take them off. They will then understand that they are being subbed to rest/protect them from injury so they are ready for the next game WHICH THEY KNOW THEY WILL START and are not being subbed for playing badly. You’ll find there’ll be no more tantrums, no more thrown shirts but instead a happy and motivated squad.
To my mind playing defensively has SIMPLY NOT WORKED. Can we really do any worse away from home than we’ve done so far? With that in mind let’s switch to an attacking lineup, similar to when we play at home, for ALL our remaining games starting right now.
We may not succeed of course. However if we don’t make it then I for one want UE and our players to remember that WE ARE THE GUNNERS! NO MORE MEEK, UNCERTAIN AND NERVOUS DEFENCE! FROM NOW ON LET’S GO IN WITH ALL GUNS BLAZING AND BLAST OUR WAY TO SUCCESS!