Arsenal player ratings v Fulham – new boy gets the man of the match

Arsenal continued their winning run this afternoon by dispatching Fulham 3-0 at Craven Cottage to make a winning start to the new season.

Not only did Arsenal make the perfect start to the season they also kept a clean sheet. Several players shone in the game, here are our Arsenal player ratings.

Bernd Leno – 6
Back to full fitness, back in goal, was calm and did well to save from Gabriel’s blunder in the first half.

Rob Holding – 7
Decent game, he was as reliable at the back as ever and might be kept instead of being sent to Newcastle on loan for the season.

Gabriel Magalhaes – 8
Will have dreamt of a debut as good as this, recovered well from his early error and his goal capped off the perfect day.

Kieran Tierney – 7
Full of energy and initiative, this might be a season that he shows us all his top-class talent.

Hector Bellerin – 7
Solid and full of running. One key pass to set up Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang well but the striker failed to hit the target.

Mohamed Elneny – 6
Nothing spectacular, but he did his job well.

Granit Xhaka – 7
Continues to look better under Arteta. Timed his tackles well and was impressive on the ball.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles – 6
Another fine day for him in yet a different position. Solid and almost set up a goal.

Willian – 9
He was signed to help Arsenal get goals and he created three today. More of this, please.

Alexandre Lacazette – 7
Got his goal from being at the right place at the right time. Caused problems with his hold-up play.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – 8
Scored a beauty, pressed well, and always a threat. Keeping him might become the club’s best business this summer.

Subs:

Nicolas Pepe – 6
Did well to help Arsenal keep the pressure on for more goals.

Dani Ceballos – 6
Showed his class by almost setting up another goal. He is so neat on the ball.

Eddie Nketiah – N/A

Arsenal player ratings from Ime

Tags arsenal player ratings

1. Rory johnson says:

Incoming salty fake fan comments about how delusional we are 👀 👀 👀

1. Highbury Hero says:

Arteta 20/10 and all players 10. We won 3 nil and make the game look easy. As a matter of fact I am disappointed we scored only 3. With result like this no one deserve less than 10.

1. Highbury Hero says:

1. Rory johnson says:

Tell that to the abundance of trolls on here

1. John Ibrahim says:

still room for improvement but we had a very good result….

Arteta has established a style of play, ball control and strong technical….

Once we sign the right players, build the core and squad we can win

Most fans think if we have to control the ball for 90 minutes or if we dont win 30 nil we are shit….

2. Ahmed Khan says:

Our new signings played well
            A better since you took over

I love Arsenal I was in London in 2013
            I watched two Arsenal’s games
            Love to meet The Arsenal team
            That is my dream

2. towny 254 says:

I TOLD YOU ALL WE WOULD WIN 3-0 GREAT RESULT

2. Joe Allysons says:

Today I felt what it’s like to have two equally dangerous players with one starting and one on the bench. All through the game, all I was thinking was “they’re tiring out holding Willian,but we still have a fresh Pepe on the pitch.”

Now imagine a game where we can field Auba, Laca, Pepe,Willian and Ceballos with Xhaka in there too. Against a team with light counter attacking threat, that would be absolutely immense. Now think of all the above will Bellerin and Tierney overlapping.

Now in the league cup, think of Saka, Martinelli and Nketiah as a striking line.

1. Sid says:

Yup. Hope Martinelli can return from injury even stronger.

3. Durand says:

We played well today as a team and some solid individual performances. We should be controlling matches against clubs like Fulham, and should be getting points.
    Too often in the past we struggled to dominate lower table teams, and now we’re controlling the matches. Good sign going forward and it shows Arteta is succeeding at the club.

1. ozziegunner says:

Durand, Leeds United’s performance against Liverpool has shown that there will be no easy games. Any away win is a plus. A big positive was the form of all players, particularly the debuts by Gabriel and Willian. Gabriel, given he hasn’t played for so longooks like the tall physical aggressive CB Arsenal has lacked for a while. He and Holding after a sloppy start were excellent.

4. Val says:

Elneny should atleast get a 7, 6 is abit harsh imo

1. Austin Lorenz McCoy says:

Yeah was more involved than Xhaka

2. Maxis says:

I also think Elneny should get a rating at par (or even better) with Xhaka.

Seconded. Elneny worked as hard as Xhaka to protect the backline and his forward passes were also as effective as Xhaka’s

I think the author still remembers the previous version of Elneny who liked to make a lot of backpasses under Wenger’s system. Elneny isn’t as shiny as other midfielders, but he could be our Jordan Henderson or Fabinho

1. ozziegunner says:

Elneny, AMN and Xhaka should all get 7 IMO.

2. Dan kit says:

Agreed and not sure why Leno got a 6 aswell ,but one persons opinion is very rarely the same as the next .

3. Declan says:

I agree he played very well.

3. Chike says:

I agree wit you. He was on par or better than xhaka in my opinion

4. The Deluded One says:

For sure Elneny deserves a higher rating.

1. ken1945 says:

Have a look at what Mikel Arteta says about Elneny and his game today.
        What a team performance and, as Highbury Hero says, ten out of ten for everyone involved – now the Hammers turn!!!

Strange where the prophets of doom have gone, especially with regards to Bellerin and Elneny – let’s hope they will finally support the players.

1. Lord Denning says:

Where was your BFF Ozil,was he left at home to cook supper for the team?

1. lcw says:

You need to make that comment after we beat
            Liverpool, city, united or Chelsea . Better yet if we place in the top 4 or win the championship.
            Fulham looks like a team heading for relegation and Arsenal performance did not inspire any one that should be inspired.

5. RSH says:

Agree as well. If it were a player with a better reputation he’d be getting more praise.

5. Lugdush says:

I think elneny has a pretty good game. “Nothing spectacular” u said, but u should never expect something Spectacular from elneny since he Is not capapable of that. He has not the conditions to bring some of that, not in defense, not in attack…he Is a worker and while he keep doing his job without awefull mistakes, that’s ok for elneny AND for the team…that’s why, against better sides, we need a player that can do something different, something Spectacular, like partey.
    Xhaka has a very good game too, i think we can’t get partey AND aouar since arteta Will not drop xhaka AND maybe he would not change to 443…even so, we have Ceballos who show again today that he Is capapable of something special

6. Son says:

Spot-on on the rating

I’ll raise my expectations after the game against Liverpool

7. Highbury Hero says:

Please fix your mobile site JA every comment I make becomes a reply inside a reply inside a reply. Replynception.

1. Sid says:

Loop of replies😂😂

8. Sid says:

Good ratings. Disagree on Elneny though.

9. vz says:

Satisfied. Now let’s see what we are up to with the bigger clubs.

10. Eddie says:

Like I said on Thursday already.. Martinez’s medical is today.
    He’s already having it. He could be announced this evening

1. Wale says:

Eddie, please can you tell me latest news on Partey and Aouar because I can’t wait for us to ads these two players to our team, then we will become Liverpool of last two seasons and last season…..Am in love with my Arsenal team right now….

Looks like Liverpool will rival United on the penalty front…. so jammy… Come on Leeds

Boom get in there Leeds!!

Bamford!!!

1. Skills1000 says:

Hi Sue. I have a feeling that Arsenal will compete with Liverpool and Money City this season for the EPL title. Arteta is the deal

How good would that be, Skills?! With Arteta, the sky’s the limit!

1. ozziegunner says:

#1 Partey and #2 Aouar and Arsenal are on the up and up.

12. Innit says:

It’s nice to win the first match of the season. That’s rare for us.

Long may it continue

Not only us losing to Villa in a friendly then! United did today 1-0… Watkins bagged the winner 👍

1. Kev82 says:

United fans will say the best striker in the premier League wasn’t playing Sue 🤔

😂😂 I wonder if De Gea howled!!

1. Kev82 says:

That wouldn’t be like him 😜 thoughts on Gabs Sue ? I thought he was very good and looks like he could be a star let’s not forget hasn’t played a single minute since march.. impressive 😄 You watching the match now Sue ?

I was surprised Dani didn’t start, Kev. He did play well! A lot of impressive displays put there today!! Loved it…
            Yes watching the hammers… Will Carroll score??!!

They were in fancy dress, Kev, their 3rd kit 😂
          Great win earlier 👌

1. Kev82 says:

You mean the zebra kit Sue ? 🦓😂 Yeah i kinda knew Elneny would start as he played very well at Wembley I just hope we haven’t gone cold on Partey 😩 haha it’ll be his first goal since that goal against man city for Liverpool 😂😂 Ceballos and Nketiah at it earlier 😂😂

Yes the Lion King kit 😝 Hopefully the transfers will pick up now, Kev…

1. Kev82 says:

Haha absolute woeful kit Sue you couldn’t pay me to wear something as hideous as that 😄 I hope so Sue I want to see Mustafi, Chambers, Kolasinac, Guendouzi, Ozil and Torreira offloaded ASAP 😄 this West ham game is sending me to sleep literally I’ve yawned like 15 times 😂

Is pretty dire, Kev and so much for my bleedin’ predictions 😂😂
                  We’ve got West Ham next week….

1. Kev82 says:

You can brag to your nephew after we win then Sue 😂😂 why did you get a few wrong ? 😜 First game is always hard to predict, I said Liverpool would beat Leeds 4-0 and I got that terribly wrong 😂

14. Chapo says:

Leno a 6? WTF….. He organized his defense well which led to him facing a mere 1 or 2 shots which he saved. He was barely tested and kept a clean sheet. Plus he was quick enough to remedy Gabriel’s error which would have totally changed the complexion of the match. Had it been Martinez in goal I’m sure you would have given nothing less than an 8. Leno a 6? Martinez is gone, Dan the earlier you stopped the Martinez infatuation the better.

1. Sid says:

Its Ime who rated the players, not Dan. So you blaming Dan is uncalled for.

1. Chapo says:

Sorry it my mistake, that was for Ime not you Dan. I apologize for the mistake and thanks for pointing that out Sid.

1. Sid says:

No problem bro.
          COYG!

2. RSH says:

I think 6 is fair. 6 is standard and Leno only had one thing to do in the entire game which was in the first minute. I dont think Leno “organized the defense”. Arteta set up the defense and the players knew what to do and were barely troubled.

15. Gideon says:

You hate Elneny that much?

16. Sylvia Martins says:

Elneny played very well, he protected the defence and was relief when Ceballos came in. So he deserved more than 6, you said nothing spectacular. I said He was instrumental. Above all, is a good result for Arsenal. Hope to see these in next game.

17. Wenger91 says:

I’d give Leno and Alneny 7 too!

Today’s match was an exception for Alneny, I didn’t except to see this energy from him, he did well with Xhaka.

Leno saved us twice, what else he needs to do to get more?

Good job all!

18. Reggie says:

Was out today knocking the spots off my golf ball while we were knocking spots off mighty Fulham. Will watch on MOTD tonight but great start. Well done all. Terrible if true and it looks true about Martinez but decisions can only be justified at a later date, so we will wait and see the consequences.

19. Sean Williams says:

Masterclass by Willian. Just like my hero Santi Cazorla, he is getting better with age. Gabriel…best defensive debut imaginable and Auba…..what a goal!!!!!! Great promise.

20. Pharaoh says:

Big biiig props to Arteta and all our players today 👏🏻 They always looked very determined to follow through with the plan and what a brilliant plan it is, full of scrumptious defensive solidity at the back with a hefty bite up front!

A lot of people doubted Willian but he’s always looked the consistent type to me and he proved today how valuable he can be for Arsenal. And huge props for my compatriot, Elneny who I disagree with the rating he’s been given, was outstanding today to the best of his capabilities 😁 But the beauty of it that Arteta seems to make even the mediocre players look like lions and that’s no easy feat. I am very excited for this season and hopefully many more under MA. COYG!!

21. RSH says:

Willian was excellent. Glad I came around on his transfer eventually. He is a quality player and can help us and push Pepe to improve. I think there was a drop when Pepe came on and Pepe will realize that he has to fight for his position now. Good on Mikel for raising the competition up front. And apparently Saliba isn’t injured Arteta just did not want to throw him to the wolves so soon. Strange he wasnt on bench even tho.

22. antonioro says:

Elneny one of the best on the pitch.No less than 8.Ceballos needs to be in the first 11,replacing AMN.

23. ozziegunner says:

Word is that Zidane from Real Madrid wants Aouar as well as Arsenal, Manchester City and Juventus. It also reported that Arsenal have not submitted a second cash only bid, so that seems to be that, as far as this Club is concerned.
    Vinai has said that Arsenal do not have to sell, to buy players; however the Club continues to offer players and cash for their two top priorities. Lyon has said they want €60 million cash for Aouar and Atletico Madrid has said they will accept nothing less than €50 million buy out in cash for Partey, but instead of getting in and doing the deal Arsenal procrastinates until another club beats them to the player.
    If Vinai is telling the truth, why the delay with announcing Aubameyang’s re signing and the signings of the players Arsenal has prioritised?

Willian’s assist>Saka’s assist in the Community shield, identical! Just like Auba’s goal in both games!! Even AMN and Tierney were in the same place in both games – love it!!

Loving the comments from all the commentators/pundits… all positive, am gushing 😍

Fancy MOTD showing that Adebayor goal against us 🙄

1. Sid says:

The only difference I can think of is that Saka did it with his left and Willian with his right, but I am nitpicking, lol!

🤣🤣 nice one, Sid!! How did I miss that?! 🤣🤣

25. RW1 says:

Rosy … wba result adds perspective … holding Gabriel tiernay all Merit a 7 … Gabriel an 8 maybe for scoring and first game … willian and aube were 8 laca was a 7 for me bundled in goal held up ball well but not a big threat … midfield was disciplined but uninspiring and Fulham held their own … could count times they got in to their box oN one hand .. people should make a comparison with Leeds on that score .. Elneny a 7 others a 6 at most along with bellerin who didlittle right or wrong