Arsenal v Brighton team selection – the media have absolutely no clue

The media including Arsenal blogs have no clue what team Freddie Ljungberg will select.

Under Unai Emery, it was almost impossible to know what team he was going to go for. Arsenal fans, media outlets, blogs etc. all had a go at predicting his line ups but rarely got it right.

The same can now be said about Freddie. However, that is to be expected, it is only his second game in charge.

The reason most of us have been thrown is because of the line up he went with against Norwich City.

I have searched high and low and I have been unable to find anyone that predicted the lineup Freddie went with against the Canaries.

OK, here are just a few examples of some of the predicted Arsenal team for tonight.

Evening Standard

Leno; Chambers, Holding, Luiz, Tierney; Torreira, Xhaka; Aubameyang, Ozil, Martinelli; Lacazette​

The Express

Leno; Bellerin, Chambers, Luiz, Tierney; Xhaka, Guendouzi; Pepe, Ozil, Aubameyang; Lacazette

The Mirror

Leno; Bellerin, Chambers, Luiz, Kolasinac; Xhaka, Willock, Guendouzi; Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette.

Gooner Talk

Leno; Mustafi, Chambers, Luiz, Tierney; Xhaka, Torreira, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Martinelli.

So, as you can see all agree on certain players, Leno, Chambers, Luiz, Xhaka, Ozil, Aubameyang and Lacazette.

That is seven players, which I suppose is not too bad but I get a feeling at least one or even two of those players will not feature from the start.

Only one goes with Pepe starting, a couple goes with Martinelli, Torreira and Guendouzi, in better words, the usual struggle to predict the team.

1. Truth says:

I pray for Torreira alongside Xhaka. For me the “lesser evil” is Torreira-Xhaka rather than Xhaka-Guendouzie.

I hope for Chambers as CD and Bellerin as right back.

Would not mind Martenelli or even Pepe but want Ozil in the middle and not out wide at the expense of a better winger.

2. Senderos says:

Leno
    Belle Luiz Chambers Tierney
    Xhaka Torreira Ozil
    PEPE LACA AUBA

1. kamal muaz says:

good formation my Friend

3. Innit says:

Leno
    Bellerin..Holding..Luiz..Tierney
    Torreira… Guendouzi
    Pepe…Ozil…. Aubameyang
    Lacazette

1. Lugdush says:

I like that…torreira being a shield, like the last year when he was pure defense and tackle…guendouzi moving aroud being the link betweeen defense and Ozil, Pepe or auba

4. Best says:

What ever set up the coach chooses, Gabriel should be in it. He is our most lethal striker by far. I don’t care about our defense because if we win our remaining matches by 7-6 scoreline, I am pretty sure we’ll finish in the top four. It has always been about outscoring your opponents

5. MARTINELI says:

Lucas
    Ozil
    Gabriel
    Auba
    Laca

7. ThirdManJW says:

Luiz badly needs to come out of the team, and we need someone to create, because Ozil doesn’t. I don’t follow the youth set up, if anyone else does, do we have a decent creative midfielder?

Third Man Yes , Luiz DOES need to come out of the defence but so do ALL the other outfield “defenders” bar the hardly started Tierney. We are now a joke club known throughout the English football world as the club that DOES NOT EVEN WANT to put the defence right. If our club did so want they would have d done something about it. But they have chosen not to, so that” does not want” title is right.

2. Goonerboy says:

Spot on!

8. Rkw says:

We will concede so out and our attack for me … tirreira shoukd stay back allow ozil to play the link man … won’t happen but what I’d like to see

Leno

Pepe, Auba, Martinelli

1. Truth says:

SAGooner – I like that line-up

2. Daulat says:

That’s a neat formation.

3. rixizo says:

Basically the strong and balanced line up!

1. Mogunna says:

Not so solid in center defense area, we miss a Top experimented CB as Koulibaly to pair with one we have but a Koulibaly-Umltiti pair is what we need.

For now, we must play 4-1 formation with a CB who can play DM; sit infront of CBs. Luiz or Chambers are best two options we have.

Best game’s start we had was last Emery’s, with Luiz infront of CBs in 4-1 formation, Luiz injury ruined it. He should have reshuffled team, with Chambers as DM in a 4-1.

Leno
        Bellerin Holding Chambers Tierny
        Luiz

This triangle locks center defense; gives many options in middle and attack! Until we have a top CB to solidify this area, we need 3 CBs instead of 2 in that area. Team is free to attack then, not all defending!

4. kenny says:

love this line up too

10. GB says:

“The media have absolutely no clue”……….. I don’t really think any of us do, we just state who we THINK should play and I’m sure the media do the same. As you say, he’s only picked one team so far, which to me was less than underwhelming but maybe he had reasons for that, Bellerin and Tierney not 100% fit for instance but let’s see what happens tonight. Perhaps he will pick a team that generally we are all happy with? Well, we can only hope can’t we? The main thing is, tonight’s game is absolutely a MUST win, or we will be deeper in the kak than we are now!

1. Admin Martin says:

I agree GB, I have no clue what team he will pick either and I never did under emery

GB, ” A team that we are all happy with” eh? Well he had better sign a whole new outfield defence before kick off then!

11. Anthony says:

No Xhaka, no Luis. Play youngsters AMN at RB if Bellerin not fit. Chambers can also bench. Play Holding at RCB and mavrapanos at LCB with Tierney at LB. I would even go with Joe and Torreia at HM and let the forawrds do their thing with Pepe starting and Martinelli given an early Sub for him or Auba when game is already won. Ozil to start of course aT NO. 10

12. Okello BONNY says:

All ARSENAL plays are lacking confidence.

1. SAGooner says:

You’re right, and that’s why a good win, a GOOD win, is so sorely needed.

13. Kumagaya says:

Me think that Pepe.Ozil. and Auba should not start at the same time. Either two if them is already too much laziness. No tracback and one dimentional. One must be droped for a midfilder e.g. xhaka.Torreira.Guend. ozil. Auba and Laca defence we leave to God