Cedric repays Arteta’s faith in him with wonderstrike

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth a couple of weeks ago when it was announced that Arsenal had extended the contracts of David Luiz, who had just had a horror show at Man City, and also Cedric Soares, who had arrived on loan but had not even kicked a ball for us in a competitive game.

But yesterday at the Emirates, Arteta replaced Bellerin with Soares to give the Portugese a run out as we were beating Norwich 3-0, and within four minutes he had put us 4-0 up with a screamer from outside the box.

Understandably he was happy to have scored so quickly on his debut for the Gunners, and he said after the game: “Yes, it felt great to be fair. To be able to first of all play for Arsenal in Emirates Stadium and add that start with a goal, of course I feel very, very happy. But I need to thank all my colleagues, they helped me during this time. You saw the reaction, they were happy as well. They were supporting me and I’m very, very thankful for that. But most important is of course the three points.”

That goal capped off a great evening for Arsenal with Xhaka scoring a brilliant team goal sandwiched in between two typical Aubameyang poachers goals, but what a great feeling it must be for the lad.

Let’s hope we see a lot more of this from him in the future….

1. Kklin says:

Didnt see the game. Would have loved to see the goal.

1. ThirdManJW says:

I think it took two deflections, so not a wonder strike, but you could see how much better he is than Bellerin, even in such a short cameo.

2. Tojo says:

It seems to me Arteta is trying to prove that it doesn’t matter who you are what club you come from, if your willing to work hard and play for the team and want it be here you deserve to play for Arsenal. Hopefully this will encourage all the players to play for there place and give 110%

What a goal!!

4. Grandad says:

Soares is a decent attacking right back/RWB who will at least provide competition for Bellerin who has been far from impressive since the resumption.At the very least he is a good squad player but , like Bellerin he is not a great defender.The lack of a top quality RB is still very evident and from what I’ve seen of him lately, Aarons of Norwich is not a solution .

1. Sean M says:

From my recollection, he was only called upon twice to defend and did so efficiently and confidently.

5. Kenya 001 says:

Good debut for Soares didn’t see the deflection though! I think he’s better than bellerin at crossing with both feet.

6. Gworm says:

Not quite a wonder strike but it was a powerful shot on target which shows what can happen when you stop trying to walk the ball into the net.
    Is he left or right footed? It made a huge difference to suddenly have someone able to pass with both feet. Pepe should take a leaf out of his book. I worry when we have four left footers all on the left so the ball always ends up coming inside. Easy to defend against.

7. Tojjolo John says:

He looks like he is double footed which puts him ahead of Bellerin. Promising start. Arsenal fan in Uganda.

1. Gunner23 says:

He is, He can play LB and RB

8. Marty says:

Just goes to show what happens when you take a chance and shoot from outside the box, other players please note !!

9. Godswill says:

Arteta saw in Cedric what I couldn’t see.
    Future is bright.

1. Khadii says:

Yea..
      That’s why he’s the coach and we are fans..
      He works closely with his players