Confirmed: Aaron Ramsdale joins Arsenal from Sheffield United

Arsenal have finally completed the signing of Aaron Ramdsale from Sheffield United this summer, having had to start the campaign without a established back-up to Bernd Leno.

The English shotstopper is expected to challenge the German for the number one role this term, with the German having had little competition for his role in recent terms.

It remains to be seen whether the 23 year-old will be given many minutes as he looks to rival Leno in the coming months, but the hope is that strong competition for places will bring the bet out of both goalkeepers.

Ramsdale will wear the number 32 jersey this term, and will likely play as understudy to the our first choice from last season, although some pundits believe he could well be exactly what the team is missing at present, and could well be able to dislodge Leno from his role as number one.

According to the Metro, the deal could cost up to £30 Million with an initial fee of £24 Million to be paid up front for his signature.

It remains to be seen whether he will be made available for the weekend’s clash with Chelsea, although I would be very shocked if he were to start ahead of Leno as early as this weekend.

Patrick

Tags Aaron Ramsdale

1. RSH says:

Not what many of us wanted, but it’s reality, so makes the most sense to get behind him and hope he surprises many of us. Welcome to Arsenal Ramsdale!

👍 Spot on, RSH

1. ZA mind says:

Hope is all we have left.

2. SueP says:

Not popular in some quarters but you get my support

3. Lenohappy says:

I don’t really rate him that much but he can’t be worse than Leno. Welcome to The Arsenal Ramsdale.

1. Loose Cannon says:

Agree Lenohappy, lets support the lad and stop the nonsense talk of playing for relegated clubs by a miniscule section of the so called fans. I recollect years ago, Wenger hired Ozil from RM, a club famous for winning La Ligas and UCLs. So how many titles he did cause us to win?
      For 24M, it’s a steal. For a 3rd choice German keeper, we were mugged by 20M, for a young man monster GK, home grown, player of the season for both his previous clubs, decorated with the 2017 England under 19 UEFA champ, English 24M is a great deal done by Mikel. Thanks Mikel!

1. ZA mind says:

I like the term monster, Some of the English clubs have monster plays that harass weak keepers and defenders. I hope he spits venom on them(scary words) not the quite Leno.

4. kev says:

Hopefully he turns out to be good. If things go wrong this would prove to be an awful deal and it wouldn’t even be hindsight. All I can say is I wish him well. There’s a lot he’s going to face.

1. Ynikobas says:

Hi Kev, what’s happening on Aouar to Arsenal & other transfer news?

1. patH says:

Why ask Kev. £130 million has already been spent.It seems obvious to me that no more money will be spent on anyone unless we offload players.

5. Voyageur says:

I think he’s going to prove a lot of doubters wrong.

1. guy says:

Agree Voyageur – I think by this time next season he will be one of the most popular players in the team. He’s a trier, passionate, martials his defence, comes for the ball, and CAN pass. The opposite of Leno tbh. He’s 23 which is a novice for a keeper. He will do fine.

1. ZA mind says:

if That is all true, its a good signing. Arsenal has become so soft belly in recent years. Tried to copy sleek Barca but without fast and technical players to emulate them.

6. fairfan says:

As advertised.
    Welcome aboard Ramdy 🙂

1. Mac says:

Not popular by a lot of idiot wanna be football manager social media trowls !

Welcome to Arsenal Aaron from all real Arsenal fans !

Do your best for us and we will support you fully

Simple

7. Angus says:

Not sure why I saw some say he was the reason Sheffield went down, he won player of the season for them.

He will be better on the ball than Leno and at crosses which I know concerns a lot of people with Leno. Shot stopping in general isn’t bad either. 23, fills a HG slot nothing to hate. Time will tell if he is outright number 1 material but certainly not a huge amount of difference between him and Martinez especially on the 2 traits people liked with Martinez vs Leno namely distribution/cross claiming.

8. Andy says:

He’s a huge upgrade on Runarsson, we can all agree on that.

1. Biscuitbum says:

Can we now ship out Runarsson and the rest of the dead wood sitting on their arses trousering huge pay cheques.

9. The-Real-Vieira-Lynn-4ever says:

a lot of backhanded compliments being conveyed…if I was Ramsdale I would much rather face some honest vitriol, so I could further motivate myself to prove the naysayers wrong, than a tepid welcome, even though latter reaction makes the most sense considering the still problematic fit and the speculative price tag

10. Marty says:

At least we now have a half decent back up in case we get an injury to Leno and I also agree with what someone said earlier about how he can’t be blamed solely for Sheffield Utd relegation, he was voted their player of the season after all and he’s not at the end of his career looking to have a cushy last few years like a lot of our signings in the past.

11. Matthew says:

Welcome Aaron son

12. Frank Ogamma says:

Well if he can bring change in our team and prove himself no problem. I always love every Arsenal players and I’m behind them no matter the situation. I know one season they will put smile on my face. Welcome my best keepers we are behind you

13. Tom says:

Nice comments from seaman about also being third choice england keeper and getting negative vibes from arsenal fans on his arrival.
    Turned into a club legend. Could Ramsdale become the same?!!

Let’s see…

14. The-Real-Vieira-Lynn-4ever says:

first Bergkamp/Ode comparisons, now this early days Seaman/Ramsdale nonsense…this is how we got in trouble in the first place, as some less astute members of the Board thought they saw in Arteta things that mistakenly reminded them of a younger Wenger…unicorns and rainbows for everyone I guess

15. Kev82 says:

I can’t believe some so called supporters were online abusing Aaron Ramsdale, he didn’t call up the club and say I want to sign for you, the club went after him! Take your anger out on the club not the player.. I will support him like any Arsenal player. Welcome aboard!

Kev.. have you posted your predictions?

16. HASS says:

The worst first choice keeper in the league last season

17. Nepalese Gunner says:

How i wish most of these so called true Arsenal fans, to eat their own words when Ramsdale performs well.
    GOOD LUCK AARON.

18. gunnerforlife says:

Hope he performs well and gives good competition to Lenno which is in the general good of the team. Welcome to Arsenal Ramsdale, looking forward to see you play.

19. Ayan says:

Welcome on board Aaron Ramsdale! Please let us support our players! I believe he will add value to the team.

20. siamois says:

I don’t think people have a problem with Ramsdale per se,it is more about the fact that the club spent that much money on a Keeper when we have more urgent needs,we could have signed Matt Ryan/Johnstone and next summer could have gone back for Ramsdale or someone else and sell Leno,same thing with the 50M spent on a new CB when we had Saliba who could have been slowly introduced I mean Holding CC could have done the job for the season alongside Gabriel Mari especially with a very good RB and may be by next season Saliba would have been ready to become a starter.

21. Elvinho says:

All I just want is for Ramsdale to look Leno in d eyes and tell him…”hey mate, am here for the number 1 spot” and Leno in reply..” Cool… But let’s see how you beat me to it”.

A healthy competition that will push both players to being the best at their game and at the end…. Give us fans something to be proud of.