William Saliba has been an Arsenal player since 2019, yet the defender hasn’t kicked a ball for the Gunners’ senior team.
He has spent the last two-and-half seasons out on loan at different French clubs.
In the last year-and-a-half, he has played for Nice and Olympique Marseille. He is thriving at the latter now.
His fine form has even earned him a place in the France national team and he is now set to return to the Emirates as a much better player.
Arsenal has two solid centre-backs now in Gabriel Magalhaes and Ben White and it would be hard for Saliba to break into the team.
However, former Gunners defender, William Gallas, believes there is a tactical switch that Mikel Arteta could do and he would fit in.
He said via Football London: “If Artetachanges his system and plays with three at the back, Saliba could fit in that position. Also, if Arsenal are in the Champions League, he will have more competitions to play in during the season, so Saliba could have more opportunities to play games. Saliba has to be ready and must know he has to fight to show he’s a good player and that he deserves to play for Arsenal.”
Just Arsenal Opinion
Saliba has proven his quality in the French Ligue 1 and the Europa League in this campaign.
However, the Premier League is a different ball game and he would need to convince Arteta that he can also thrive in the competition before he gets playing time.
But he should remain at the Emirates when he returns, even as a squad member.
VIDEO – Mikel Arteta on Arsenal’s fantastic win at Chelsea…
“Saliba has to be ready and must know he has to fight to show he’s a good player and that he deserves to play for Arsenal.”
Really? But our fans think he’s better than what we have already and that he has to walk into the team over Ben White.
My view without seeing himplay in the flesh is that no player makes the FRENCH NATIONAL TEAM IF THEY ARE NOT A TOP PLAYER.
FRANCE ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS AND SALIBA IS PLAINLY A REAL TALENT. HE MAY WELL HAVE NOT BEEN READY WHEN HE FIRST CAME.
HE HAS, IMO, NOW AMPLY PROVEN HIS ABILITY AND I AM CONVINCED HE WILL BECOME A REGULAR IN OUR DEFENCE NEXT SEASON.
Well said @Jon Fox, I believe Saliba is ready now,
He’s better coordinated now, much more experienced and matured,
Even if MA thinks Saliba is not ready for the PL, I am pretty sure this time MA will not allow another loan spell for him and Saliba will be integrated into the first team. If MA does not play the back 3 system, yet Saliba should get enough game time if we get into Europe.
I agree with about 80% of the decisions Arteta has made since he moved here. Not giving Saliba a chance is one of the 20% I don’t agree with Arteta. But we had enough CBs to rotate, so may be the Loan move for Saliba was not bad overall. He comes back a season more experienced and matured. Now let’s him validate the hype we all seem to have for him in the EPL next season.
I still have my doubt about Grabiel.He maybe an imposing figure but he’s easily bypassed.
As for Saiba why not take a chance on him?It’s better then splash 50 million on another player.I forgot time is of the essence in the epl