Image: Willian bids goodbye to Chelsea ahead of expected Arsenal move

Chelsea winger Willian has said goodbye to his former club, ahead of his widely anticipated move to Arsenal.

The Brazilian forward agreed to extend his Blues stay until the end of the season, with the Coronavirus pandemic halted the 2019-20 campaign in March, resulting in the term to over-run the initial contract expiry of June 30.

With Chelsea having lost to Bayern Munich last night, that meant that he would now be a free agent, having failed to agree terms over a new deal, and our side appear to be extremely close to bringing him to North London, with SkySports among a number of publications reporting as such.

Willian has now given a heartfelt message to fans, insisting that he can hold his ‘head high’, in the knowledge that he always gave his all.

View this post on Instagram

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE FANS OF CHELSEA FOOTBALL CLUB . . They were seven wonderful years. In August 2013 when I received the offer from Chelsea, I was convinced that this was where I had to play. Today I am certain that it was the best of decisions. There were so many happy times, some sad, there were trophies and it was always very intense. . . Yet, beyond the trophies, I learnt a lot about myself. I developed a great deal, becoming a better player and a better person. With each training session, with each game, with every minute spent in the dressing room, I was always learning. . . I am really grateful to the Chelsea fans for the affectionate way they welcomed me at Stamford Bridge and their support throughout my time at the club. There was also criticism, which is normal, what is important though is that both the affection and criticism drove me to always give my all in every training session, every game, to be constantly improving until my very last minute in a Chelsea shirt! . . The time has now come to move on. I am certainly going to miss my teammates. I will miss all the staff at the club who’ve always treated me like a son and I will miss the fans. I leave with my head held high, safe in the knowledge that I won things here and always did my best in a Chelsea shirt! . . My heartfelt thanks go out to all of you and God bless you! . Willian Borges da Silva

A post shared by Willian Borges Da Silva (@willianborges88) on

Will Willian command a regular first-team role at the Emirates?

Patrick

Tags Willian

1. Rory johnson says:

Incoming Top Troller and co. (The only articles they actually bother to post on).

Welcome Willian 🥳🥳 GOYG

1. Val says:

I wonder who thy could be……..:P

1. Rory johnson says:

You will need to harness all of your powers of deductive reasoning for this one bud 😋😂

What a Birthday present for him – joining the greatest team the world has ever seen! 🙂

3. Uzi Ozil says:

On a lighter note, Willian will be replacing Guendouzi in the hair department. He will be joining his friend and ex team mate Luiz. Well its now friend and new team mate.

Welcome Willian.
    Hopefully we get 2 or 3 more players. Rumours are hitting up….

1. Dan kit says:

I read he owns a restaurant in London with Luiz ,so obviously best buds 👍

4. Sean M says:

Classy move to delay the announcement until he’d had a chance to bid farewell.

Onwards and upwards, lad.

5. Eddie says:

We’ll be bringing in players this summer… Loan and permanent transfers, Arteta really wants to overhaul the squad. That fact is not hidden…
    If all goes according to plan we’ll be bringing in

Ceballos(Loan)
    Coutinho (Loan)
    Willian
    Gabriel
    Partey
    Aubameyang(New contract)
    Martinez (New contract)

And we’ll let players go.
    If we bring in all those players, how would you rate the transfer window ??

1. Kedar says:

Yes…. If these transfer happens then MA will have pretty decent squad to notch at least Top 4

And if he gets Coutinho and Partey then he can shift back to 4-3-3 his preferred formation…..
      With Martinez as GK, Bellerin and Tierney as RB LB, Saliba and Gabriel as CB

Partey, Ceballos and Xhaka In midfield and Coutinho on Left, Willian on Right and Aubameyang with his preferred central position….
      And if we achieve top 4 this season then we can start building our bench also because starting 11 looks good in this team so we would require decent bench also… Lacazette and Guendouzi expected to leave…. in this scenario we will left with Saka, Martinelli, Pépé and ESR with pretty young talent on bench..

2. ACE says:

A 10 out of 10 Eddie.

My only ? with your list is the
      likelihood of both Coutinho and
      Ceballos being brought in on loan.
      LOVE to add both but I cant see DC
      bypassing the opportinty to start @
      Real Bettis to compete with PC @
      Arsenal.

1. Eddie says:

DC isn’t competing with PC…
        DC is a central midfielder, and isn’t an attacking midfielder.
        PC and DC don’t play the same position, even while at Madrid, he was a central midfielder.
        Like Cazorla.

The least of his worries should be PC.
        I think Arteta would go with a midfield threw of

Ceballos-Xhaka/Partey-Coutinho.

The attack pick itself

1. ACE says:

I agree that PC and DC arent
          similiar players but if Arsenal do
          in fact land both Partey and PC
          where is exactly DC going to
          slot in if MA settles for a back
          4?

Xhaka and Partey will be the 1st
          choice midfield pairing and PC
          more than likely will pull the
          attacking strings with Willian,
          Pepe and Auba the beneficiaries.

DC sadly may be the odd man out.

1. Eddie says:

We need very good players, DC would get enough playing time depending on Arteta’s rotation… Everyone will play. DC needs to battle it with Xhaka if he wants it.
            No free slot

3. Dan kit says:

Ceballos-feel we could get better
      Coutino-dont see where he fits in with Willian signed
      Willian- really excited about this signing ,if fans had really watched him the last 7 years they will understand what he will bring ,for me the game thing is irrelevant.
      Gabriel- can’t say I know much of him and I watch alot of french football,would imagine that would be the case for most of us .
      Partey- could be the signing of the summer if we get him ,fingers 🤞
      Auba – think it’s already done ✅ his record speaks for itself
      Martinez- read reports he will move on for 1st team action and you can’t blame him ,but for me Leno is ahead of him .
      If we get Willian then I would imagine a front 3 of him Auba and Pepe which leaves Laca as maybe transfer funds or the partey swap .

1. Dan kit says:

Age thing is irrelevant *

1. Rory johnson says:

Couldnt agree more, bayern had 5 players on the field last night over 30 against chelsea

2. Eddie says:

Coutinho isn’t a winger though… I see a lot of people saying there’s no space for him upfront. He’s wide Midfielder/attacking Midfielder
        who only sometimes plays the wings.
        We need him.
        I think Arteta is trying to create a midfield similar to the
        Silva-Gundogan-KDB

Ceballos-Partey/Xhaka-Coutinho
        Pepe-PEA-Willian

1. Dan kit says:

That leaves it as a 443 and to me it looks like Arteta maybe prefers the 523
          Which gives us the 2 wingbacks ,maybe he will change up if he can get then personal.

1. Eddie says:

Arteta prefers a 4-3-3.
            Remember that was his formation before he switches to a back 5.
            It’s actually why he’s trying to bring in his own players.
            He switched to back 5 because he needed to protect the defense.
            With his own players, he’ll switch back to his 4-3-3

2. Phenom says:

Exactly my pick Eddie. Can’t agree more.

. Partey
          Ceballos Coutinho

Pepe Willian
          Auba

6. OMIYEMI says:

Nothing can stop MA from using xhaka. Without him there will b a big issue cos the guy is a bomb . Here’s ma formation if we got all this players. (1) Leno.
    (2) Belerin. (5) Luiz. (6) Mari. (3)Tierney.
    (4) Xhaka. (4) Partey.
    (10) Courtino.
    (7) Wilian. (9) Auba. (11) Saka .
    Bench with a good option. Pepe for willian . Laca for Auba. Matineli for Saka. Holding for Mari. Magan for Luiz. Cebalos for Partey. Martinez for Leno. Mustafi- for Luiz. Sead for Tierney.

1. Glorious says:

This is a team, in fact, we will be gunning for the title. Top 4 will be a soft work.