Martinelli ‘regaining confidence’ as he looks to return to training ‘soon’

Gabriel Martinelli hasn’t featured for Arsenal since before the Coronavirus pandemic, succumbing to injury in training soon after a return to full training.

The Brazilian earned the title of wonderkid following a number of explosive performances at the club, despite joining from the fourth tier in his homeland in the summer of 2019.

His return will be highly anticipated, and he will no doubt be keen to get back into the first-team as soon as possible, but after such a strenuous injury, you would imagine that the club would be in no rush to throw him in until they were certain.

Martinelli claims that his knee is ‘better’ however, and admits that he could well be back in training in the near future.

“I’m feeling very well, I’m regaining confidence and I can feel my knee is better,” he told Arsenal Media. “After an injury like this you are kind of scared to force the knee again but the past couple of weeks it has been fine and soon I can start training with the ball.

“I think we have an excellent squad and along with Mikel’s forward thinking and winning mentality we can carry on doing well.

“We are playing well and training well, everyone wants to win and we are all giving everything. I believe this season is very promising. We won trophies last season and I believe we can win this season again and also qualify for the Champions League.”

Martinelli may well struggle to break back into the manager’s first-team plans this season, with our team currently building form, and summer signing Willian is already impressing on the right-wing, where Gabriel would likely be eyeing to play.

Will the youngster have an uphill struggle to break back into the team this term?

Patrick

1. Sean says:

He will push Nketiah & Nelson down the pecking order when hes fully fit then probably be Lacas replacement if we decide to sell next summer, which we will if he hasnt been offered a new deal. No bids were in for him as I think we wouldve sold him!

Him & Saka gonna be an interesting battle to see who makes the biggest mark at Arsenal… see who is the breakout young star of the team, hopefully both!

1. Mohsan says:

Sean, I agree on boy’s ability along with Saka one of the most talented youngsters we have in EPL. I am afraid he won’t push Nkeitiah down the packing order as MA prefers Nkeitiah over Martenelli. Before injury when fit MA always selected Nkeitiah ahead of Martenelli.

1. Sid says:

Well Mart did play and score in the Chelsea match where Arteta was manager. I think MA rates him, also you should consider things like tactics and formations, as Mart is deadly in the left inside forward role and after restart our main aim was to spam counters with Auba as the main canon through that side. We will see him, don’t worry.

2. Dan kit says:

He is the one player that I’m most excited about .
    Reminds me of a young Sanchez,mixed with Ronaldo unbelievable engine ,explosive starting pace ,upper body strength and amazing finishing .
    Saka is the talk of the town Atm but this dude IMO is miles ahead of anything we have seen in the last 10 years ,I just hope he comes back stronger after his set back .
    I for one can’t wait to see what he does in the next 5 years

3. Maxis says:

That solo goal against Chelsea…😘

4. Adega Olatunji says:

I think Martinelli should take number 11 shirt straight away, by the time he’s fully fit he’s the next thing to Aubamayang.

5. S.J says:

I realized so much how deadly he is in front of the post with that brilliant solo goal away at Chelsea.

6. Mohsan says:

Amazing talent…I just love the raw talent he is. A diamond in the rough.

7. Sid says:

The guy is a beast. I think if he becomes fit and remains injury free next season, he may break into the top three for Golden boy and even earn a Brazil callup. Long-term I see the guy as a faster and deadlier, all-action Laca. This role would rely more on pace and dribbling than hold-up play, so if Nketiah maybe improved his ball control and hold-up play, we could have many more options of a forward line. I think the best we played last season was when he came in the West Ham game away, with Mart-Auba-Pepe being the forward line we scored 3 goals quickly.

8. Dhoni says:

Martinelli should be given the no. 11 shirt after Torriera gains or earns a permanent transfer to boost jis confide and morale just like Saka. What do you suggest fellow gooners?