This is my starting XI for Arsenal against Man City – What is yours?

My Predicted lineup of Arsenal against Man City

The Gunners will take on current league Champions and leaders Manchester City on New Year’s Day.

The match comes at a right time for Arsenal, who have found wind in their sails. The London side have won five of their last six matches.

And they have done so with style, scoring a whopping 19 goals and conceding just twice.

However, when you play Pep Guardiola’s Man City, current form immediately goes out of the window. The game can end up getting decided on who was on the starting 11, and who is brought in thereafter.

It’s worth noting that Arsenal will be without Mikel Arteta in the dugout because he is in isolation. Instead, assistant Albert Stuivenberg will take all the big calls on behalf of the Spaniard.

Here’s how I think the lineup will be:

In goal, Aaron Ramsdale. He’s the undisputed number one at the Emirates Stadium. Many people have him as the ‘signing of the summer.’

The back four is where we can see a few changes. Takehiro Tomiyasu missed the match against Norwich City with Covid. Thereafter, he wasn’t spotted in training either. Thus, he’s likely to miss the upcoming match too.

The back four, in my opinion will remain the same as last weekend. Ben White, Rob Holding, Gabriel and Kieran Tierney.

Although not a big Holding fan, the Englishman can consistently give a 7/10 performance every weekend. So, it shouldn’t be a big problem.

We might just see a surprise change at left-back though. After playing the whole 90 minutes at Carrow Road, Tierney can be replaced by Nuno Tavares, who has impressed many since his move from Benfica in the summer.

But that is unlikely due to the Scotsman’s impressive performance against Dean Smith’s men.

In the midfield, there is no point of changing either of Thomas Partey or Granit Xhaka. Since his comeback from injury, the Swiss international has slotted straight into the heart of the team.

Whereas Partey’s delayed departure to Ghana’s training camp means Arsenal will clearly benefit.

The three in front of them should also remain the same. The trio of Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Martinelli is a joy to watch.

Alexander Lacazette should lead the line. The Frenchman is a better suited player in this current Arsenal team. He’s someone who would do the dirty stuff so that others can flourish.

We can also bring in Emile Smith Rowe if things don’t go to plan. The midfielder has scored in each of the past four games, when he’s been brought in as a substitute.

The 21-year-old is also Arsenal’s top scorer this season, with nine goals in his kitty.

On the other hand, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s inclusion is one up for discussion. The Gabon international will be flying out of England after the Man City game for AFCON. Thus, it makes little sense to put him straight into the starting 11.

Ramsdale

White Holding Gabriel Tierney

Partey Xhaka

Saka Odegaard Martinelli

Lacazette

What’s your starting 11 for the upcoming Man City match?

Yash Bisht

THE JUST ARSENAL SHOW – Dan Smith has a rant over Arteta and ‘Players Welfare”

Tags Arsenal v Man City

1. Arsenal2win says:

I hope Tomi plays, but if he doesn’t, I go with your X1. I see no reason 2 change a winning team. I strongly believe the least Arsenal will get 4rm this match is a draw.

1. Thomas says:

Tomi is injured

2. Quantic Dream says:

I think this will be the line up:
    Ramsdale
    Maitland-Niles White Gabriel Tierney

Partey Xhaka

Saka Odegaard Martinelli

Lacazette

1. Phenom says:

I agree QD

2. O.T.S says:

Perfect! And that’s in the absence of Tomiyasu.

3. OULE MICHAEL says:

That would be the best line up especially when laccazette leading those front three

The ones who ran riot in Norwich would most likely be starters again, as their rewards

Lacazette’s abilities in tight space and in 50/50 challenges could make a lot of problems in Man City’s area

We have seven other CFs, yet none of them has Lacazette’s unique abilities. It’s going to be difficult to replace him in the summer

1. Dawud Abdullah-Muhammad says:

……and that’s why I think Ollie Watkins is the best option, he gives us all of Laca’s attributes, but a little bit more interest in actually scoring himself.

1. Vinnie2000 says:

He is the Exact Striker we need now! A Perfect Replacement for Lacazette! Both have same playing styles but Watkins is Younger and more Hungry for goals!

He will Link up perfectly with Martinelli, Saka, Odegaard and ESR!
        This is something Almost all our Striker targets may not be able to do e.g Calvert-Lewin, El Neysri, Vhalovic,etc😏

Watkins is definitely faster and taller than Lacazette

2. Sylva says:

Gai, Would have preferred AMN in the defense mix particularly right full back while White and Gabriel’s continue in Center of defense. But AMN may not be in form. Holding didn’t do well against Sterling in the reverse fixture hope white can help him. All others on point but Odegard would need to be on top of his game against Man City midfielders.. ManCity always thrives on open space Arsenal should not afford them the space..

I agree. Maitland-Niles is great defensively

Unfortunately, he seems to be leaving

5. O.T.S says:

I am honestly not comfortable with Holding at the back. So, Maitland takes the right back pos in the absence of Tomi, while White retains his pos.

1. Grandad says:

Why is that OTS ?Holding has been rock solid in his two outings.If you cannot recognise that you need to improve your knowledge of the game.

1. Dan kit says:

Lol There you go again .

2. O.T.S says:

I hear you@Grandad. Against Sunderland and Norwich??😂😂😂

1. Chips says:

I thought Maitland only wants to play in midfield? So at what point do you put Holding in against a better team? I don’t know because all you have done is put smiley faces…..

1. O.T.S says:

My friend, let’s not deceive ourselves about Holding as he isn’t good enough. Because if he was, Arteta wouldn’t have gone ahead to buy another center back. He is also very much unpredictable, you never know what to expect from him. Overly inconsistent. No doubt, he can be good on his day but can you stake your lifesavings on him putting up a strong display against Man city, eh?? I maintain my stance of having MaitlandNile as wing back in Tomi’s absence, while White retains his pos.

1. Chips says:

Okay thanks OTS, that’s much more understandable than smiley faces 👍

2. O.T.S says:

6. Nicho says:

Tavares for Kieran in left back.ok.

7. RW1 says:

City basically fielded 7 midfielders yday … they will drop ake and grealish for sure and probably robinho against us and bring in mahrez and sterling and gundogan or rodri .. that will make them faster and more threatening … xhaka is even more useless in these games than normally but will no doubt start .. I dont think we can press like brentford so as they are guaranteed to score it will be about whether we can respond in kind .. will take 100 per cent effort to get a result but probably as good a time to play them as any

1. James Okereke says:

You should feel more useless for say Xhaka is useless 😒 abusive little shine.

8. O.T.S says:

My lineup include:
    MaitlandNile -Tomi – Gabriel – Tierney

Xhaka – Partey

Saka – Odegaard – Martinelli

Lacazette

9. NY_Gunner says:

We’re going to need three in midfield, otherwise we’re screwed. Neither Xhaka or Partey are capable of breaking up play or turning defence into attack that well. Plus, they both lack pace. AMN should play alongside them. IJS

10. BELLO Mubaraq says:

I think Laca missed one spot kick in the league already. I stand to be corrected but I think you got it wrong to say he converted all 4 penalties we had so far this season.

1. Admin Pat says:

He missed the one before last
      Auba missed the two before that, but scored one on the rebound….

1. O.T.S says:

Excellent! Admin

2. zamind says:

The word used was won, not converted.

3. Kenya 001 says:

Bello the article states correctly that laca has won all our for penalties. But yes you are right he missed ‘converting’ one. I hope you now understand

11. Longbenark says:

Man city would be more prepared against us, I guess they would bring in sterling, Rodri, Mahrez,
    We would need to Stop cancelo, Kevin and gundegan,

I love how Lacazette and Martinelli press, would probably keep cancelo in his half, hopefully we don’t see walker.

So my preferred line up would be :

Maitland-Niles- White- Gabriel- Tierney

Partey- Odegaard- Tavares

Saka- Lacazette- Martinelli

1. Fleet_foot says:

I really like this line up. Never thought about it but it could really work.

2. zamind says:

I actually feel Mac C after winning while Chelsea and L/pool dropped points, they may come to emirates with the high attitude and pride. Arsenal should try surprise them. the coach should work to remove the fear factor from the team.

12. I says:

Not a bad line up. I think the success of our team will depend on how we handle the right full back position. I wasn’t too convinced by White’s ability there. Against wingers of Man City, it would be a weak a area.

1. GoalDan says:

I think it’s a massive risk putting Maitland any where near this team atm, just got back from being ill and basically, not that great all round. The team are playing really well, with loads of energy, so I would stay as close as possible to the last team out… but who knows🤔

13. Vinnie2000 says:

This game is one Arsenal and Mikel Arteta can win easily
    BUT
    I trust Arteta to Gift away this Match like he did against Liverpool and Man Utd with Foolish Formations!..😒😒

Against City, we simply have to Play 5 3 2 formation!
    Ramsdale
    Cedric white Holding Gabriel Tavares
    Partey Lokonga
    Odegaard
    Lacazette. Martinelli

Tavares is the Player that will Unlock Mancity’s defense! His unpredictable Moves and style of play will be the Difference Maker!🙂
    Once he is Not in the Line up, Expect a Loss!

1. O.T.S says:

This lineup amuses me😂 Thank God you aren’t our manager, we surely will be fighting relegation.

2. Quimbex says:

Tierney is defensively better than Tevares who is more attack minded. Against City we need to be better defensively & Tierney is preferable

14. Jim wall says:

We need to pack the midfield with 3 mdf,
    Leno
    Cedric Ben. Gab. Tierney
    Partey xakai
    Esr

Saka. Lacca martinelle

15. Jim wall says:

Sorry Ramsdale not leno

16. The-Real-Vieira-Lynn-4ever says:

history would suggest that if we play both Ode and Xhaka against City, we will likely pay dearly for those selection mistakes…I would counter their 4-3-3 with the same tactical formation, with Partey, ESR and AMN/Lokonga in the middle and Marts, Laca and Saka up top

17. Stockholm says:

Ramsdale

White Gabriel Tierney

Saka Party Xhaka Martinelli

Odegaard Smith Row

Lacazette

1. O.T.S says:

The three at the back seem reasonable to me, but I do not buy into the system of arrangement of those upfront. Allow me the chance of reshuffling:
      Ramsdale

White Gabriel Tierney

Tomi/Nile Odegaard Partey Tavares

Saka. Lacazette. Martinelli

2. JW says:

I like the your Stockholm syndrome.

The only problem I have is with Odegaard. I am not sure he will be allowed the space or time to impact the game.

I would play Lokonga alongside Partey and Xhaka to help counter Man City’s midfield, and I would move Saka and Nellie up to play either side ESR.

i think we would be at our best attacking them.

A 3, 3, 3, 1 formation

18. Buddy says:

Maitland Niles has to start at right back.. He is still our best Rb after Tomi
    plus he seems to be on the way out anyway, a little farewell won’t be a bad idea

19. Easyguy says: