Which Arsenal midfield duo will start v Chelsea?

This may be a little harsh on the Arsenal players Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini, who in theory could form a third Arsenal central midfield of their own, but I think that there are two clear options for Arsene Wenger to select to start for the Gunners.

I am assuming that what we have seen from Arsenal in pre-season so far is the shape of things to come and so I see two separate midfield pairings; with Santi Cazorla and Francis Coquelin together in one and Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey in the other.

The first of these duos has the great technical skill, passing precision and creative ability of the Spaniard with the great defensive and battling ability of Coquelin to allow him the freedom to play. The second pair has less of that defensive strength but the extra technical skill of Arteta and the energy and all round class of Ramsey.

But which of these is the best option to face Chelsea in the Community Shield on Sunday? I guess it depends on how the boss wants to approach the game and how he expects Mourinho to set up. I would expect their tactics to be defensive and counter attacking and in that case I think we need the protection of Coquelin and the vision of Cazorla. What do you think Gooners?

Tags Arteta Cazorla Coquelin Ramsey

1. muffdiver says:

cazorla an le coq, it aint broke..dont try an fix it.
    both excelled there last year, santi looks tasty in pre season aswell

out every weekend, out every weekend, out every weekend. such an average song, it will not leave my head, damn these repetitive chants

1. seancali says:

I say Ramsey and lecoq, cazorla on the left with Theo on the right and ozil right behind them.jack to take ramseys place on the 70th minute

1. Arsenal_the_GREAT says:

What about the Ox? Can’t leave him out.

2. plastik Fan says:

why don’t we change things a little bit these time…
    4-3-1-2 it is…
    cech
    debuchy..gab..kosc…monreal
    jack-coq-cazorla
    -ozil-
    walcott-giroud

there you have it…that can beat Chelsea am sure…if you dont like jack you are free to replace him with chamberlain Not Ramsey(bench)

1. muda says:

Why the H*ll not ramsey?? Do you hate him??

1. seancali says:

Cuz we have players who can do a better job than Ramsey, our midfield is full of talents. It’s still one of the best in England. Even without signing a new DM we have a great looking midfield. I just wish we get a backup for lecoq

2. plastik Fan says:

@muda cmon…why would i hate Ramsey whose proved everyone wrong??…in that formation someone who has pace and dribbling skills is required in that position..if for any reason the formation changes then Ramsey would be fine but he wouldn’t play well in that position am sure

2. Patrick Shiiiza says:

Cech
      Bellerin – Kos – Mert – Monreal

Coq – Cazorla

Ramsey Özil Walcott
      Giroud

3. Dan.M says:

Coq santi
    Ozil
    Ox theo ramsey

1. seancali says:

Ramsey on the right??oh pls!!

2. TheRealYusuf.H says:

LOL musa u nutter

4. Andrew AFC says:

As I said yesterday

Theo
    Cazorla Ozil Ox
    Coq Ramsey

1. muda says:

Nice1 andrew, thump up!, but I will twist it a bit as santi is only effective in the centre, Ox to the left, ramsey to the right, santi to the centre. when Alexis back he take place of whether Ramsey OX or santi .

5. rkw says:

For me….
    Bellerin gab kos Monreal
    Jack coq santi
    Ozil
    Ox giroud

Would love to see reus in this line up with Sanchez …even if we don’t get another DM could live with that as acceptable window

6. Just_Trolling says:

Chech
    Debuchy Mert Kos Monreal
    Coq Ramsey
    Ox Ozil Cazorla
    OG

I suspect this will be line up.

I take ox on right due to defensive responsibility.

OG and Theo is a tough one, I think Theo will turn game on its head if subed on, OG will allow us to retain ball better.

Overall really tough 3 or so positions to choose, great headache ti have.

1. Just_Trolling says:

I know the following will be definite

Chech
      Debuchy mert kos monreal
      Coq. ???
      ??? Ozil ???
      ???

Ramsey and Caz will most likely play, what position I dont know.

1. muda says:

@Just_ deburchy is not certain, its 50_50, + Santi and ramsey are certainties.

7. fred cowardly says:

No Arteta or Flamini for this match please

Coquelin and Cazorla/Ramsey

We tried lots of combinations Last season. Here I think are the possibilities for midfield:
    Coquelin Ramsey
    Walcott…Cazorla…Ozil

Coquelin Cazorla
    Ramsay Ozil Walcott

3. Coquelin ……Ramsey or Cazorla (other on bench)
    Oxlade…Ozil.. Walcott

4. Coquelin. …Ramsey
    Walcott…..Ozil…..Cazorla

I don’t expect Wilshere, Arteta, Flamini to start.
    I expect Giroud to start as CF

My guess is whatever formation Wenger choses, these players will play- Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Walcott. My gut feeling is that Oxlade won’t start unless somebody isn’t 100%

Whatever Wenger decides, I hope we win obviously

8. k klin says:

I have this gutt-feeling that JM won’t know what hit him after 90minutes come sunday. Coyg!!!

9. NIKK says:

Let Arteta, Flamini & Giroud cause havoc and utterly bamboozle Mo & his merry busmen!

10. Dennis says:

We need a quality striker, i hope we get one this summer or play walcott through the middle. I just don’t want to see giroud against cahil/terry again, they have him in their back pocket every hear.

11. Class Is Permanent says:

The team should be based around the Coquelin – Ramsey axis in the centre imo; makes our pressing game unplayable. The rest interchangeably picks itself.

12. 17sanchez says:

hi gooners am new here this is my first comment..2-0 to the arsenal#coyg

Ozil Walcott chamberlain

Ramsey Coquelin Cazorla

Monreal Kos Mert debuchy
    Cech

13. Ronny331 says:

Both teams will field their steongest 11 and the game will be won or lost by small margins, whoever wants it most takes the glory and confidence for the coming season. Ot: surely we are not in for lorente? Really?! Also linked with reus again, guess as players are being signed they are running out of strikers and wingers to link us with 🙂 cheeky 50/55m bid for aguero? Wow can you imagine him leading our line 🙂

1. Andrew AFC says:

@Ronny331
      I am also getting fed up with the same old stories at least last season we had more to talk about. Why can’t the press come up with a story saying we are trying to sign Bale 🙂 They have got no imagination 🙂

14. Aussie Jack says:

IMO. 1-1 at full time, 1-1 at extra time then shoot out. I hope not ,it will prove nothing.

15. alexis says:

Cech
    Debuchy Merte Kosc monre

Coq Ramsey

Ox Ozil Santi

Wal/giroud

I would like to start with giroud and bring walcott around 60 mins, will be fun to see him run around tired defense. would want hazard to play against hazard.