Xhaka tells the Arsenal critics “It won’t break me”

Granit Xhaka has certainly had a love/hate relationship with Arsenal fans during his five years at the Emirates, and he occassionally hasn’t helped his cause by publicly hitting out like he did in the Crystal Palace game when Unai Emery was our coach.

That saw Emery strip him of his captaincy and freeze him out of the team, and probably would have ended with Xhaka being sold if Arteta didn’t step in and persuade him to stay.

It didn’t help when he got sent off against Burnley in December for stupidly lashing out, which probably cost us points, and that brought his critics back out in force.

The Swiss captain obviously still feels he gets harsher treatment than he deserves as he has told Blick in an interview: “You have to live with criticism in football, but there have to be limits.

“There are other players who get red cards, but they don’t get criticised as much as I do.

“I sometimes feel that with me it is deliberately made into a bigger issue than it really is.

“But it won’t break me. I overcome it, and this time it has made me come back stronger – no doubt to many people’s surprise.”

There definitely seems to be a lot less criticism this year, and Xhaka does seem to be less error-prone, but there still seems to be a feeling on here that the 29 year-old is not quite good enough to help Arsenal back to the top.

But leaving aside your personal opinions of Xhaka’s playing style, do you think that he has been harshly treated by Arsenal fans?

Tags critics Xhaka

1. Declan says:

I have a vision of us playing without Xhaka in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Ødegaard and ESR in the middle in front of Partey, Saka on the right and Pepé on the left with Laca or Auba or Martinelli up front.

2. Ron says:

Xhaka deserves every single criticism he gets. He is never good an will never be good for Arsenal.

He also has a habbit of glorifying himself in the disguise of disapproving his doubters.

3. Marshal says:

Am bored that he is still at the club,, he should have left under Umery. l still think there are better players out there who are better than Xhaka in his position.

4. Edwin Marcus says:

Please let leave criticism and give him more chance to play

5. Artsenal says:

I’m afraid most comments are not more than emotional and naive ones.I see he is a good player and very important for our team.He proved that critics and the emotional fans are wrong.He was subjected to severe attacks,but he survives and continues playing his role under very high pressure.I really like the
    way he plays,his patience and his wide vision all over the field.

6. Mumba says:

No player will be good enough once they don our precious jersey.look at it this way …auba all over a sudden isn’t good enough…..I seriously think we should change the playing style if not the gaffer

7. durand says:

Harsh treatment perhaps, but brought on by his own actions. Silly fouls, losing his temper and getting a red and sent off, this is not the fan’s fault.

His mistakes leading directly to goals are tops in the league, again not the fan’s fault.

It has become magnified because he continues repeating the mistakes after 5 years with the club. He is well deserving of the criticism directed his way, but his family is OFF LIMITS, period. Takes a true coward and scumbag to slag off his family, and pointless to do so.

Good for Xhaka though not being bothered by the criticism, professional players need strong mentalities.

Xhaka does this season now seem to split fan opinion more than before. Previous to this season, most were firmly wanting him out and I think a majority still do. But he has a number of fans to who his strength and combative attitude has fooled them into thinking he is good enough.

To my mind he has never been anywhere near good enough. He is freakishly slow, both in thought and action and is massively immobile too. I have seen ocean going liners turn quicker. He is also rash and mistake ridden but he does give his all, severely limited though that “all” actually is!

9. Artsenal says:

Although speed is a vital issue,but great players like Viera,Zidane and pugpa are not pacy players.I think it’s matter of centralization rather than pace.I agree Xhaka commits mistakes because always demands and possesses the ball more than any one in the field,specially the like of Auba who doesn’t fight enough to deserve the hell of money he gains.we overstmated Xhaka’s mistakes although I think if I’m not mistaken Lino and David Louis have occurred more mistakes led to goals.The stats show that XhaKa has most touches and most tackles in our team.Last month Messi made a good setter to the opponent lead to a goal and it wasn’t an issue.The more u possess the ball the most u r subject to mistakes.Let us look at the full half of the glass.Xhaka is not that complete player,but he doesn’t deserve what the unfair views we keep reading every time and then.

10. Gbenga says:

Whenever l saw Xaka name on own start xi, it was just like we are playing with a team that was red carded

11. Ba Elkhirsawy says:

I think people should really give him a break, he was really doing well before that error. The DM is a position which is notveasy to notice for football fans, it is a position which does not involve much scoring and assisting.
    He can be good and he played minutes more than anyone I guess, consistently fit is a great value.

According to some fans move 11 players out, bring 11 players in but it is not football manager.

12. The Real Vieira Lynn says:

He simply must go so that it forces Arteta to take off the training wheels…maybe he can get a ride out of North London with Luiz…talk about killing to birds…

1. The Real Vieira Lynn says:

two not to

13. Grandad says:

His strengths, such as they are, are far outweighed by his weaknesses.Nothing against the guy personally but if he is still a first choice pick next season I shall be very disappointed.

14. Reggie says:

There is a reason he gets more criticism than many other players and thats something he has no choice to live with. He isnt up to Premier league standard and he isnt upto Arsenal standard. We have done nothing but gone down hill since he came.

15. CHARLES says:

XHAKA AND DAVID LUIZ ARE INCONSISTENT AND THAT EMBODIES THE WHOLE TEAM, THE MOMEMNT WE DO AWAY WITH THEM THE BETTER FOR US.
    WE UNDO THE WORK OUR ARSENAL PLAYERS DO

16. CHARLES says:

SORRY I MEANT THEY UNDO THE WORK OTHER ARSENAL PLAYERS DO, AND A CLUB SUCH AS ARSENAL CALIBER DONT NEED PLAYERS LIKE THIS.
    THEY WOULDNT GET INTO LECEISTER TEAM MUCH MORE WEST HAM