As always, JustArsenal finds out what our opposing team thinks about the upcoming match, and this week the Southampton website provides us with some interesting facts ahead of this weekends game. The most interesting fact I like is that the Saints haven’t won away at Arsenal for 28 years!
Anyway here is what they said:
Ahead of Southampton’s clash with Arsenal at Emirates Stadium this weekend, we take a look at some of the key stats behind the fixture.
– The Gunners have won just one of their last six meetings with Southampton in all competitions (D2, L3), 1-0 back in December 2014.
– Southampton have scored just one goal in four Premier League visit to the Emirates, and have not netted in their previous three.
– Arsenal haven’t lost in 21 home league games against Southampton (W15 D6), last losing back in November 1987 when Danny Wallace scored the only goal for Saints in a 1-0 win.
– Southampton have kept three consecutive clean sheets against Arsenal, their best ever run against them in all competitions. It’s the same amount they had kept in 32 previous meetings with the Gunners.
– The Gunners haven’t lost back-to-back home fixtures in the Premier League since 2011.
– Shane Long scored twice in Southampton’s 4-0 win over Arsenal on Boxing Day 2015 – his most recent Premier League brace.
– Mesut Ozil scored in Arsenal’s 3-1 win at Watford, but hasn’t scored a league goal at Emirates Stadium since December.
– Claude Puel is the fourth French manager to face Arsene Wenger in the Premier League. Gerard Houllier is the only French manager to have beaten him.
– Southampton didn’t win any of their first three games last season – and still went on to record their best ever Premier League finish.
– In terms of possession, only Chelsea and Manchester City have recorded higher than Saints’ 57.8% in their opening three matches.
– Dušan Tadić has played the joint-most key passes in the Premier League so far this season (10).
Well it is not a match preview as such, but there are lots of conflicting facts and information in there. Just how can they have had so much possession over their first three games and only come away with one single point? Remind you of anyone lol!